Friday, May 14, 2010

Streaming Media East 2010, News Round Up and a Qik Howcast Interview


I'm back from New York City after a couple of very busy days at Streaming Media East 2010. While there were no major industry shaking announcements this time around, there was a fair amount of buzz around Adobe's Flash Access 2.0 delivery news and video support on the iPad using the HTML5 video tag. Like every other Streaming Media conference, this event brought together many of the top leaders in the online video space, TV and advertising execs, marketers, content owners,  online marketers, enterprise corporations, broadcast professionals, ad agencies, educators, CDNs, bloggers and several of this years' 2010 Streaming Media All-Stars. I spent a considerable amount of time on the exhibit floor talking with online video platform providers, technology gurus, video evangelists, fellow bloggers and friends I've met at the many industry events over the years. I didn't make it to Content Delivery Summit or the NY Video May Meetup due to my travel schedule, but I hope to catch up with some of the people who I missed this time at the next Streaming Media West conference in November.

The panel session I moderated, Media Framework: Video Publishing Platforms, on Tuesday, May 11th went well and had great attendance, considering that the conference had three tracks. I'll save my analysis of the session for a post when the video is available, which should be on demand in the coming weeks.

Many thanks to Dan Rayburn, Joel Unickow, Eric Schumacher-Rasmussen and the management and staff of Information Today Inc. for putting together another great show, and congratulations on the launch of their new website OnlineVideo.net. A big thanks as well to my good friend Mark Robertson for hanging out with me, working with me on team coverage of the event and showing me a great time New York City. My thanks as well to the folks at Sorenson Media for sponsoring the Tuesday night Streaming Media All-Stars event at the Mets game. This was my first trip to New York City, and having experienced it now I understand why so many people come to this great city.

I interviewed quite a number of people, who will be featured in upcoming posts, including:
While I planned to Tweet and stream more live video, I did stream only this one interview with Jason Leibman, CEO and Co-founder of Howcast live on Qik.com. Jason talks about the evolution of his company, where Howcast is within that market and why every company should be a media company. Look for an edited version of this interview on Reel SEO in the next week or so.


As with previous Streaming Media news coverage, I've put together a round up of news, analysis and press releases from Streaming Media East. Stay tuned for more videos and upcoming blog posts from the event.

Analysis
Beet.TV interviews
TV Worldwide Video Coverage
News Releases