The YouTube blog cited the Click-to-Buy CTR (click-through rate) increased by 2.5x in the last week and 2x the average of other Click-to-Buy overlays on the site. Technical account manager Chris LaRosa said searches of "Chris Brown Forever" also skyrocketed on YouTube making it one of the most popular queries on the site.
LaRosa argued that while many still question "the promotional and bottom-line business value sites like YouTube provide artists", this example clearly demonstrates their value proposition and their main goal "to help content creators effectively make money from the distribution of their content online."
Tim Street noted,
"It’s a shame that this couple from the JK Wedding Entrance Dance viral video in Saint Paul, Minnesota didn’t have a monetization plan in place before this video came out. They could have paid for their wedding already."Ben Homer asked,
"So it’s great for YouTube, iTunes, Amazon, and the record label. But what about for the content creators? Is free distribution a fair value exchange, I’m not so sure. Your Thoughts?"While it's a win-win for YouTube, Apple and the record label -- the only ones not making money are the newlyweds. The married couple took a different route than profiting from their fame and took the opportunity to draw attention to the serious issue of domestic violence knowing that Chris Brown, who had severely beat his then-girlfriend Rihanna, was receiving proceeds from the sale of the record. They launched their website, JKweddingdance, and are accepting soliciting donations to the Sheila Wellstone Institute.
On the site the couple said,
"Our experience since we posted the video has been incredible. We would never have expected this response to our wedding entrance in a million years. We hope to direct this positivity to a good cause. Due to the circumstances surrounding the song in our wedding video, we have chosen the Sheila Wellstone Institute. Sheila Wellstone was an advocate, organizer, and national champion in the effort to end domestic violence in our communities."Congratulations Jill and Kevin!
- I now pronounce you monetized: a YouTube video case study - YouTube Blog
- JK Wedding Dance Serves YouTube's Profitability Case - And brings Sony a nice sum - Softpedia
- Viral Wedding Dance Boosts iTunes Sales Forever
- JK Wedding Dance may help Chris Brown's career, but the couple is helping victims of domestic abuse
- Thoughts on the YouTube Value Prop | Online Video Watch
- Viral Wedding Video
- Should Wedding Party In Viral YouTube Video Get A Cut Of Music Sale Profits?
- YouTube celebrates JK Wedding Entrance Dance viral video
- Dear YouTube: When do Jill and Kevin get paid?
- Wedding Video Helping Chris Brown Repair His Tattered Reputation
- What YouTube Can Learn From The Chris Brown Wedding Video