Many see the new app as a clever workaround to getting a legitimate video application on the iPhone. Here's what they had to say on the 12second blog:
"With the 12seconds iPhone app you take 3 pictures, record some audio and post it. We’ll turn it into a video and post it for your friends to see. There’s no other app in the app store that outputs video so we’re pretty excited about it. It will cost only 99 cents. It’s a great value and a great way to support your friends at 12seconds. Here’s a short video demonstration."
12seconds iPhone App Demonstration from Sol Lipman on Vimeo.
Regarding the open registration the 12second also had to say:
"The time has come to open up and share 12seconds with the rest of the world. Now anyone can register and join our beta program. So, please, invite your friends and let’s build a rich community of people 12ing all over the world. 12seconds is easy, fun and engaging. We’ve got the best community on the Internet."Here are a few related posts that offer more background and detail:
- 12seconds iPhone App! Plus redesign and open registration. « the 12seconds.tv blog
- 12seconds prods the iPhone with a non-video video app » VentureBeat
- 12seconds.tv rolls into public beta, launches iPhone application
- FaceReviews: Facebook News, Application Reviews and Social Networks
- LIVEdigitally » Blog Archive » Video Recording on my iPhone… or very nearly (thank you 12seconds)