- See Contentinople - Akamai CEO: Online Video Has Reached a 'Tipping Point' for Ryan Lawler's write up on the Paul Sagan's keynote:
- Also, see Online Video Watch for analysis on Sagan's keynote
- Streamingmedia.com: HD Online at the Tipping Point
- Online Video Publishing [dot] com: Ad Age: Akamai CEO: The Online-Video Tipping Point is Here, Streaming Media East 2009 Keynote
- Download Paul Sagan's slides from Streamingmedia.com: Streaming Media East Keynote: Paul Sagan, Akamai http://www.streamingmedia.com/east/presentations/SMEast09-Keynote-Akamai.pdf
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Streaming Media East Keynote: Paul Sagan, Akamai, "HD Online @ the Tipping Point"
This video features Paul Sagan, President and CEO of Akamai from his keynote at Streaming Media East last month. In his presentation, HD Online @ the Tipping Point, Sagan said that after more than 10 years of the evolution of online video delivery it's finally reached a "tipping point" where it can compete directly with traditional broadcast television. He traced the milestones of online video from the 1999 Victoria Secret Fashion Show to the present with the 2009 Presidential Inauguration (10 million streams) and NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament MMOD (March on March Madness) and pointed to the growth of HD and high quality video and adaptive streaming technology as key factors in the "tipping point" that will enable Internet video to reach a TV sized audience.
"We're on the cusp of many new businesses starting up," said Sagan, "and what the early days of broadband taught us is that, once consumers have access to fast bandwidth, that level of speed becomes the standard by which they judge all future online broadband experiences. Given full-motion video, gaming, and other high-quality online entertainment experiences, consumers will push every previous entertainment tool off the table and focus on consuming broadband-delivered content."