Sunday, September 13, 2009

Qik Highlights from the San Francisco Brightcove Alliance Meetup

I attended the Brightcove Alliance meetup last week on September 10th in San Francisco at the Thirsty Bear brew pub which highlighted the announcement of major expansion of the company's global partner program that includes more than 200 technology, distribution and solution providers. Brightcove's founder and CEO, Jeremy Allaire, was joined by Brightcove Alliance partners from the Bay Area for an evening of networking, brainstorming, and demos that showed how leading media companies and marketers are taking advantage of their partner ecosystem to deliver powerful and innovative solutions built on top of the Brightcove online video platform.

The event turned out to be a "who's who in online video" with local Bay Area companies TubeMogul, TurnHere, Qik, Cooliris, Apture and many more in attendance. It was a great see so many people I both knew and meet new friends from my online communities. I recorded the demos with my Flip MinoHD while doing a live mobile broadcast using my Nokia N95 and Qik, one of the companies at the meetup as part of the Brightcove Alliance. I'll be posting in-depth coverage of the event and September 11th announcement, Brightcove Accelerates Expansion of Global Partner Ecosystem. I collected my Qik videos from the meetup which include a brief introduction by Jeremy and short demos by Cooliris and Qik. Other demos were by Apture and Boxee which I'll share in a later post. Just a few days prior to the meetup, Brightcove announced a partnership with Boxee to provide Brightcove media customers turn-key video distribution options to the living room television via Boxee's interface. I admit that the Qik videos are low quality and I'll post higher quality versions I shot with my Flip MinoHD in a later post.

In this video, Jeremy Allaire, of Brightcove kicks off the meetup with a brief presentation of the expansion of their partner program.



In the video, Brightcove Alliance partner Cooliris demos it's innovative plug-in that transforms your browser into an infinite "3D Wall" of content that you can scroll through rather than click through to enjoy photos and videos from the Web or your desktop.



In the following video, Ramu Sunkara, CEO and Co-Founder of Qik and members of his team demo their new capability to stream live video from their mobile handsets to the Brighcove player.




While this demo and the others were hampered by the poor broadband connection at the at the local venue -- that didn't stop the speakers who were each prepared with back up presentations that highlighted the creativity and innovation of the Brightcove Alliance and it's online video ecosystem.